America Saves Week 2017 Daily Savings Focus
We encourage you to learn about these savings strategies and themes each day during America Saves Week:
Monday, February 27: Save Automatically
- It can be hard to put aside money for savings, but there is an easy way to save money without ever missing it by making your savings automatic in 2017. Already saving automatically? Find ways to automate other aspects of your financial life this year.
Tuesday, February 28: Family Savings Day
- Good savings habits start at home. Whether you’re budgeting, saving, making retirement decisions, or assessing work-place benefits, share the choices you make with your children, no matter their age.
Wednesday, March 1: Save for Retirement
- Saving now for retirement will ensure you have enough money to have a comfortable standard of living when you stop working or reduce the amount of hours you work. Participate in a work-related retirement program, open up an Individual Retirement Account (or IRA), or open a free and easy myRA account. Already saving for retirement? Increase the amount you save toward retirement by 1 percent in 2017.
Thursday, March 2: Saving at Tax Time
- Saving a portion of your tax refund can be a big step toward meeting your savings goals. This tax season, get ahead of your financial goals by splitting a portion your tax refund into savings, and reward yourself with SaveYourRefund by entering to win one of 101 prizes.
Friday, March 3: Pay Off High-Interest Debt
- With planning, discipline, patience, and maybe some outside help, almost anyone can reduce their debts and start to accumulate wealth. Find places to cut your spending so that you can pay down your debts faster and find places to trim your expenses.
Saturday, March 4: Save for Emergencies
- An emergency savings fund consists of a small amount of money, usually in a savings account, that you do not have easy access to. Saving for this fund starts with small, regularly scheduled contributions that build up over time.