Concealed Handgun Permit
Please see the State Police website for any questions regarding the laws governing concealed handgun permits. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
Instructions For Processing
- Applications are available on the Virginia State Police Website http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm
- Applicant must be 21 years of age or older
- Applicants must apply in the County or City of their residence.
- Pursuant to this Court’s order. Every new applicant for a concealed handgun permit shall demonstrate competency in the use of a handgun by presenting a certificate issued from a handgun safety and training course or presenting an Honorable Discharge Certificate (DD-214 form) from the Military. Please refer to 18.2-308 (G) of the 1950 Code of Virginia as amended.
- Completed applications should be returned to the Clerk’s Office in the jurisdiction in which you live accompanied by a $50 non-refundable processing fee. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order payable to Clerk, Henrico Circuit court. Debit and credit cards are not accepted. (Do not forward cash in the mail)
- Be sure to spell out your eye and hair color. If you were born in a country other than the United States, you will need to attach the necessary paperwork confirming United States Citizenship, or that you are a legal alien.
- The applicant shall present the following to the Circuit Court Clerk at 4301 E. Parham Road, Room 240 or by mail to P. O. Box 90775, Henrico, Virginia 23273. If applicants appear in person to have their signatures acknowledged, must present a valid picture I.D.
- Completed original application. If mail, the application MUST be properly notarized and the Notary Seal affixed.
- Proof of competency with a handgun or previous handgun permit
- $50 fee payable to Clerk, Henrico Circuit Court
- A self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the permit when issued.
- Hours for processing Concealed Handgun Permits:
Circuit Court Clerk’s Office: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Processing of these applications can take up to 45 days. The Police Department performs background checks and then forwards this information to the Circuit Court Judge who enters an order either granting or denying the permit.
- Please remember that all applicants must provide accurate and complete information in the application. It is recommended that all applications be submitted typewritten to ensure the accuracy of information contained on the application. The making of a materially false statement on an application for a Concealed Handgun Permit constitutes perjury, punishable as provided in 18.2-434 of the 1950 Code of Virginia, as amended.
Concealed Handgun Permit Renewals
- Applicants who are renewing a concealed handgun permit must apply in the City or County of their residence.
- Applications are available through the State Police website: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm
- Renewals may be submitted in person or may be mail to the Henrico Circuit Court Clerk at P. O. Box 90775, Henrico, Virginia 23273-0775. If mailed, the application must be notarized and the notary seal affix before mailing. If appearing in person to have your signature acknowledged, you must provide a valid picture ID.
- Applicants must provide a copy of their existing permit.
- The processing fee is $50 non-refundable, payable in cash, check or money order payable to Clerk, Henrico Circuit Court. Debit and credit cards are not accepted (do not forward cash in the mail). Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with the application for the mailing of the permit when issued.
- The Police Department performs background checks and then forwards this information to the Circuit Court Judge who enters an order either granting or denying renewal of the permit. Applicants will be notified by mail once the permit has been granted or denied.
Obtaining a Replacement Concealed Handgun Permit
- Permit Lost or Destroyed – Applicant must submit to the Clerk’s Office a notarized statement explaining why a replacement permit is needed. Applicant should also provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope for use in forwarding the replacement. The processing fee is $5.00. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to the Henrico Circuit Court Clerk). Debit and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.
- Address Change – Applicant may submit a notarized statement to the issuing court requesting an address change. Applicants may also appear in person to request an address change. Whether the request is in person or by mail, the applicant must also provide a copy of the current concealed handgun permit, proof of address change (e.g., driver’s license), and a self-addressed, stamped envelope. The processing fee is $10.00. Payment may be made by cash, check or money order (payable to the Henrico Circuit Court Clerk). Debit and credit cards are not accepted for the payment of such fees.
- Processing of replacement permits can take up to 10 days.
- The Clerk’s Office will mail the replacement permit to the applicant in the self-addressed, stamped envelope previously provided by the applicant.