County approved permit plans are required on site for all inspections including reinspections.
The FINAL inspection is to be requested after all sub trades are complete and approved.
All plumbing, mechanical and electrical permit final inspections must be approved prior to the final building inspection.
Floor and ceiling insulation shall be installed. Vapor retarders must be turned towards conditioned (room) side.
The crawl space grade must meet the requirements of items #2 and #3 as listed under foundation inspection. Crawl space grade shall be free of wood and debris. Pipe and conduit holes in foundation walls shall be pointed up. The draintile discharge termination, if required shall be marked for inspection.
Screen porches, balconies, decks, and raised floor surfaces located more than 30″ above the floor or grade shall have guardrails. The guardrail shall be a minimum of 36″ in height and its intermediate rails shall be constructed so that a 4″ diameter sphere cannot pass between them. Guardrails at stairs are permitted to allow the passage of a 4 3/8″ sphere. An exception to the 4″ diameter rule is the triangular space formed between the steps and the bottom member of the handrail. This space shall be constructed so that a 6″ diameter sphere cannot pass between them. Stairs with a total rise 30″ or greater may not have openings between the treads greater than 4″. If the risers are closed or solid a 3/4″ – 1-1/4 ” nosing is required unless the tread depth is 11″ or greater measured nosing to nosing.
Guardrail post notching is not allowed.
- Handrails must be provided for steps of 4 or more risers. The top of the handrail shall measure between 34″-38″ vertically from the nosing of the tread. Handrail ends shall be returned or shall terminate into a newel post. Handrails shall conform to the following requirements:
- Type I Handrails with a circular cross section shall have an outside diameter of at least 1-1/4″ and not greater than 2″. If the handrail is not circular it shall have a perimeter dimension of at least 4″ and not greater than 6-1/4″ with a maximum cross section dimension of 2-1/4″.
- Type II Handrails with a perimeter greater than 6-1/4″ shall provide a graspable finger recess area on both sides of the profile. The finger recess shall begin within a distance of 3/4″ vertically from the tallest portion of the profile and achieve a depth of at least 5/16″ within 7/8″ below the widest portion of the profile. This required depth shall continue for at least 3/8″ to a level that is not less than 1-3/4″ below the tallest portion of the profile. The minimum width of the handrail above the recess shall be 1-1/4″ to a maximum of 2-3/4″. Edges shall have a radius of 0.01 inches.
- Handrails are to be continuous for the full length of the stairs and the ends shall be returned to a newel post, wall or safety terminal.
Smoke detectors shall be installed in the required locations. (One in each bedroom, one in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms and one on each floor of the house and not closer than 3 ft. to an HVAC return air grill, a HVAC supply vent, a bathroom with a shower, or a kitchen.) The detectors shall be interconnected; hardwired and have a battery back-up.
Carbon Monoxide alarms shall be installed in new dwelling units in required locations. (Outside of each sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of each bedroom in dwelling units with fuel-fired appliances installed and in dwellings that have attached garages).
New Dwellings not equipped with an automatic sprinkler system shall have a portable fire extinguisher installed in the kitchen area.
Fireplace hearth depth, hearth extension depth, damper size, the clearance to combustible trim and the chimney termination shall meet code requirements. The top of the chimney shall extend a min. 2′ higher than any portion of the building within 10′, but shall not be less than 3′ above the point where the chimney passes through the roof. New wood burning fireplaces shall have gasketed doors.
- Interior and exterior stairs and steps shall meet the following requirements:
- The minimum tread depth shall be 9″ (from nosing to nosing).
- The maximum rise shall be 8-1/4″.
- The difference between the least and greatest rise and the least and greatest tread depth within one run of stairs shall not exceed 3/8″. A maximum 2 percent slope is allowed on treads and landings (1 unit vertical in 48 inches horizontal).
- Landings where required shall be a minimum 36″ in the direction of travel and at least as wide as the door served.
Exterior deck steps need to be positively attached per Henrico County policy.
Roofs and attics shall be properly cross-vented.
Interior finish material shall meet the flame-spread requirements of the code. The vapor retarder and/or insulation containment material left exposed in unfinished areas shall have a flame spread not exceeding 25 and a smoke developed index not to exceed 450.
Bath fans and dryer vents shall be vented to the outside through a louver or vent cap.
All egress doors shall be readily operable from the egress side without a key or special knowledge.
- Safety glazing where is verified again during this inspection. Tempered glazing is required in the following locations:
- In all fixed and operable panels of swinging, sliding and bifold doors
- Glazing in enclosures for or walls facing hot tubs, whirlpools, pools, saunas, steam rooms, bathtubs, and showers where the bottom exposed edge of the glazing is less than 60" measured vertically above any standing or walking surface
- Glazing in a fixed or operable panel adjacent to a door where the nearest vertical edge is within a 24″ arc of the door when in the closed position whose bottom edge is less than 60″ above the floor or walking surface
- Individual fixed or operable panels greater than 9 square feet, whose bottom edge is less than 18″ above the floor, top edge is greater than 36″ above the floor, and one or more walking surfaces are within 36″ horizontally of the glazing
- In railings regardless of an area or height above a walking surface
- Glazing in walls and fences adjacent to indoor and outdoor swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas where the glazing is less than 60″ above the walking surface and within 60″ measured horizontally and in a straight line of the waters edge
- Adjacent to stairways, landings and ramps within 36″ horizontally of a walking surface when the glass is less than 60″ above the plane of adjacent walking surface
- Adjacent to stairways within 60″ horizontally of the bottom tread of a stairway in any direction when the exposed surface of the glass is less than 60″ above the nose of the tread
Lots shall be graded with a minimum 6″ in 10′ fall away from the foundation and any drainage discharge lines are to be marked.
Roof drainage systems, downspout extensions and HVAC drip line extensions may be required by the soils report and will be checked at this time.
Based on the 2009 Virginia Residential Code.