COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
COUNTY OF HENRICO
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING CONSTRUCTION AND INSPECTIONS
TO: Interested Parties
FROM: Building Official
SUBJECT: Inspection Surcharge Fee
DATE: July 1, 2015
Effective October 1, 2013, the permit fee ordinance adopted by the Henrico County Board of Supervisors established an inspection surcharge fee of $75.00 for each inspection of new one- and two- family dwellings that exceeds the average total number of inspections for such structures. Please be advised of the following information related to this fee.
- The inspections that are counted toward assessment of the surcharge includes all permits issued for construction of the dwelling (i.e. building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, fire protection and elevator). The inspection surcharge fee will be assessed after completion of all final inspections and prior to issuance of the permanent certificate of occupancy.
- The average total number of inspections for one- and two-family dwellings is calculated on July 1st of the current calendar year (to correlate with the County’s fiscal year). The average total number of inspections for one-and two-family dwellings as of July 1, 2015 without a fire suppression system is 36. The average total number of inspections for one-and two-family dwellings as of July 1, 2015 with a fire suppression system is 43. For one- and two-family dwellings with an elevator the average total number of inspections for each elevator is 2. Any new one- and two-family dwelling without a fire suppression system or elevator that requires more than 36 inspections for issuance of the certificate of occupancy will be assessed the inspection surcharge fee of $75 for each additional inspection. If a fire suppression system is installed the $75 inspection surcharge will be assessed when more than 43 inspections have been performed. For any new one and two family dwelling with an elevator the inspection surcharge fee of $75 is assessed after the inspection totals exceed 38 for dwellings without a fire suppression system and 45 for dwellings with a fire suppression system. These total average number of inspections will be used until June 30, 2016 and the new average number of inspections will be recalculated on July 1, 2016.
- The inspection history for each permit can be viewed online from our website at http://henrico.us/bldg/insp.
- Any inspection that is performed by an employee of the Department of Building Construction and Inspections that is posted as a pass, fail, or partial result will count toward the inspection total. Any inspection that is performed by a registered design professional and is posted as a “RDP” result will count toward the inspection total.
- All work is required to be ready for inspection prior to scheduling the inspection request. Honoring requests for morning or afternoon inspection times are discretionary based on daily workload and staff assignments. The result for any inspection that is cancelled after 7 a.m. of the day that the inspection is scheduled to be made will be posted as a “Fail” and will be included in the inspection total. Inspections cancelled prior to 7 a.m. of the day the inspection is scheduled to be made will not be included in the inspection total. Inspection cancellations shall be made via telephone call to our inspection request system at (804) 501-7770 or online at http://henrico.us/bldg/insp. Cancellations left as messages on staff voice mail will not be accepted.
- Only inspection results for the Department of Building Construction and Inspections will be counted toward the total number of inspections for each permit. Inspection results entered by Planning, Public Works, Public Utilities, the Division of Fire or other agencies will not be included in the inspections total.
- The inspection surcharge fee shall be paid prior to issuance of the final Certificate of Occupancy. Customers will be notified by telephone and/or email if the total number of inspections exceeds the annual average and the fee amount that is due. The Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until the fee is paid. Payment can be made by cash, check or credit/debit card. Credit and debit card payments can be processed in The Permit Center or the Treasurers Division of the Department of Finance. The Treasurers Division of the Department of Finance is located on the 1st floor of the Administration Buildings at the Western Government Center (4301 E Parham Rd) or Eastern Government Center (3820 Nine Nile Rd). The Permit Centers are located on the 2nd floor of the Administration Building at the Western Government Center and the 1st floor of the Administration Building at the Eastern Government Center.
Please call (804) 501-4360 if you have any questions regarding the inspection surcharge fee.
Gregory H. Revels