The following checklist has been developed to assist commercial permit applicants with the minimum informational requirements to be contained on the permit application and attached plans. Providing this information should expedite the plan review process and avoid delays in issuing the building permit. Please review these items to ensure that your plans are complete prior to submission.
A completed Commercial Building Permit Application, which should include the job location, accurate description of the proposed work and the Plan of Development number (if applicable). Permit fees and state levy fee are due upon application.
Code used including edition.
A completed Affidavit for Alterations to Existing Buildings.
Two copies of the stamped approved Plan of Development or the Administrative approved plans for additions or exterior improvements. Two copies of the site plan should be submitted when a Plan of Development or Administrative approval is not required. Please contact the County of Henrico Planning Department at (804) 501-4602 if you need further assistance regarding these plans.
All tenant work or interior renovations in shopping centers, strip stores, office or office/warehouse buildings require two copies of the lease plan or key plan showing the locations of the space and space number. (Please show the location of all fire rated construction and state the previous use of the space.)
Parking schedule, including locations of accessible spaces, showing calculations based on the County of Henrico code. Please contact the County of Henrico Planning Department at (804) 501-4602 if you need further assistance on the calculations.
Two (2) complete sets of architectural and structural drawings. These plans should include the following information:
- Use group clarification and the proposed use for all areas of the building
- Type of construction
- Occupancy load for all areas of the building to be occupied
- Structural design including stair details, door & window schedules, fire resistant rated assemblies, accessible bathroom layouts, safety glazing location and glass types
- Sprinklered or not sprinklered
Two (2) complete sets of mechanical drawings including:
- Fan and equipment schedules
- Kitchen rangehood details
- Fire sprinkler design information
- Fire standpipe locations
- Supply and return duct layouts
Two (2) complete sets of plumbing drawings including:
- Waste and vent riser diagrams
- Storm water riser diagrams
- Drawings showing storm and sanitary sewer installation outside of building
- Water supply and water distribution piping
- Backflow prevention and cross connection control devices
Two (2) complete sets of electrical drawings including:
- Lighting and single line power drawings
- Panel schedules
- Power distribution details/risers
- Fire alarm device locations and sequence of operation
- Exit sign locations
Restaurants or food service facilities require a food service permit, which may be obtained through the Health Department. Please contact the Health Department at (804) 501-4530 if you need further assistance regarding these plans.
We are listing these items to enable you to provide us with the initial information necessary so that your review will not be delayed while waiting for additional information. If you take the time to verify the presence of this information it will enable us to provide a quicker, more effective review of your proposed plans.
A “partial ” or “footing and foundation” permit request may be submitted with the building permit package. The request must be submitted in letter form and accompanied by one additional set of structural plans.