Click on a number on the map to explore the historical point of interest there.

1. HENRICO TOWN SITE – Here in 1611, Sir Thomas Dale established Henricus, the first English settlement inland from Jamestown.

2. RICHMOND NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD PARKCivil War battlegrounds preserved by the National Park Service. Included on the 97- mile tour through three counties are the remains of Fort Harrison, an important Confederate post in Henrico that fell to the Union Army on September 29, 1864. Other forts nearby are Gilmer, the last Confederate stronghold of Richmond’s outer defenses, and Gregg, Johnson and Hoke. Union Fort Brady is also part of the Henrico tour.

3. NATIONAL CEMETERY – Site near Fort Harrison where Union
casualties from Civil War battles at Forts Gilmer and Harrison were buried.

4. GLENDALE – A national cemetery was established on this land on which in 1862, Confederate troops met Union General George B. McClellan’s army.

*5. MALVERN HILLCivil War battlefield where on July 1, 1862, the last of the Seven Days’ Battle was fought. During the Revolutionary War, the Marquis de Lafayette camped here July to August 1781.

6. DABBS HOUSE – Antebellum home that served as Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s headquarters during battles to defend Richmond during the Civil War. For many years, Dabbs House served as the eastern headquarters of Henrico’s Division of Police and is adjacent to Henrico’s Eastern Government Center.

*7. VARINA PLANTATION – Site of Henrico’s first county seat.

8. WALKERTON – 19th-century brick structure and one of the oldest taverns in Henrico.

*9. CURLES NECK – Former home of Nathaniel Bacon, Jr., known for his campaigns against the Indians and for leading Bacon’s Rebellion against the English crown.

10. FLOOD MARKER OF 1771 – Ryland Randolph of Curles erected this large sandstone obelisk to commemorate the disastrous flood that swept across Virginia in 1771.

11. SEVEN PINESCivil War battlefield where Confederate General Robert E. Lee was given command of the Army of Northern Virginia in 1862. A cemetery now occupies part of this area.

*12. STUART’S MONUMENT
Monument erected in 1888 to commemorate Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart who was mortally wounded
near this site at Yellow Tavern on May 11, 1864.

13. CHICKAHOMINY BLUFF – Within sight of the earthworks here, Confederate General Robert E. Lee watched the beginning of the Seven Days’ Battle.

14. VIRGINIA E. RANDOLPH MUSEUM – A tribute to Virginia E. Randolph, noted black educator and founder of vocational education in the state.

15. MEADOW FARM MUSEUM/CRUMP PARK
Visitors to this 1850 historical farm can experience 19th-century rural life
in a farmhouse, barn, outbuildings, gardens, nature trails, and more than 150 acres of pasture and woodlands.

16. HENRICO COUNTY GOVERNMENT CENTER AND COURTHOUSE – First occupied in 1974.
Click this link for directions.

17. LEWIS GINTER BOTANICAL GARDEN – Once owned by tobacco entrepreneur Lewis Ginter, this Victorian estate’s garden is evolving as a major botanical center.

18. SHORT PUMP – Site where once stood a tavern and stage coach stop named for a short-handled pump under the porch. Today the name designates an area in western Henrico.

19. JAMES RIVER AND KANAWHA CANAL – The first commercial canal system in North America. Coal mined in western Henrico was transported to the port of Richmond through this system.

*20. TREE HILL FARM – Lafayette visited Tree Hill around 1825. It is said that during the Civil War, the surrender of Richmond in 1865 took place here as city officials met the Union Army advancing up Osborne Turnpike. This was one of the largest early plantations and along with Varina, was the horse racing center of the area.

*21. WOODSIDE – Renaissance revival, style house built by local architect Albert L. West.

*22. LAUREL HISTORIC DISTRICT – Site where in 1890 the Virginia Industrial School was built. This school, the first of its kind in Virginia, was a place where delinquent boys could learn a trade. The area also includes some private residences.

*23. BROOK HILL – Site of Civil War fort where the Confederate Army defended Brook Turnpike, now U.S. Route 1.

24. RIVER ROAD – Virginia Byway.

25. NEW MARKET ROAD – Virginia Byway.

26. STATE ROUTE 5 – Virginia Byway.

27. EMMANUEL EPISCOPAL CHURCHHistoric Landmark; built in 1860.

28. RICHMOND INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – Site where Civil War earthworks have been preserved. Nearby is the Virginia Aviation Museum.

*Denotes privately-owned property


Unless otherwise noted, all linked photos were contributed by Henrico County Public Relations and Media Services Office. The Public Relations staff can be contacted at (804) 501-4257 or at Post Office Box 90775, Henrico, VA 23273-0775.