4747 Pouncey Tract Road
DescriptionAfrican-American students attended this two-room 1920s structure. It was one of approximately 22 schools under the supervision of the pioneer educator, Virginia E. Randolph. Multiple grades were taught with students ranging in age from seven to eighteen. Students studied a tradtional school curriculum as well as home economic skills such as sewing and cooking. Following the closure of Springfield School around 1950, the structure became a private residence and students were sent to Virginia Randolph, Quioccasin or Union School. The County of Henrico moved the school from Shady Grove Road to this location in 2011.
View Larger Map