Address:

2940 Mountain Road

Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates:

Description

This Belvedere, meaning “beautiful view”, was one of three Forest Lodge towers. Forest Lodge, constructed in the 1880s by Captain John Cussons, was a six-story hotel on 1000 acres in Glen Allen, west of the railroad tracks. Cussons created gardens, a hunting preserve, ponds stocked with fish, and a park populated with deer and peacocks. The resort boasted over 100 guestrooms, a grand ballroom, boating facilities and a theatre. Cussons envisioned the Lodge as a popular train stop between New York and Florida. The Lodge was demolished in 1992.

Description

This Belvedere, meaning “beautiful view”, was one of three Forest Lodge towers. Forest Lodge, constructed in the 1880s by Captain John Cussons, was a six-story hotel on 1000 acres in Glen Allen, west of the railroad tracks. Cussons created gardens, a hunting preserve, ponds stocked with fish, and a park populated with deer and peacocks. The resort boasted over 100 guestrooms, a grand ballroom, boating facilities and a theatre. Cussons envisioned the Lodge as a popular train stop between New York and Florida. The Lodge was demolished in 1992.