Address:

6216 White Oak Road

Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates:

Description

In November 1916, a group of approximately 100 Danish and Norwegian Americans established the Windsor Community Farm at Elko. The cooperative farm venture led by Frank and Anna Hurop was unprofitable, but members of the settlement stayed and built this community center in 1924. The hall provided a variety of early entertainment, including vaudeville acts traveling the east coast and musical entertainment by the Georgia Wildcats, Sam Workman, Sunshine Sue, and also the Carter Sisters. The hall still sponsors a variety of activities and is owned by the Windsor Club of Elko, Inc. Many members are descendents of the original settlers.

Description

In November 1916, a group of approximately 100 Danish and Norwegian Americans established the Windsor Community Farm at Elko. The cooperative farm venture led by Frank and Anna Hurop was unprofitable, but members of the settlement stayed and built this community center in 1924. The hall provided a variety of early entertainment, including vaudeville acts traveling the east coast and musical entertainment by the Georgia Wildcats, Sam Workman, Sunshine Sue, and also the Carter Sisters. The hall still sponsors a variety of activities and is owned by the Windsor Club of Elko, Inc. Many members are descendents of the original settlers.