Address:

5101 Francistown Road

Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates:

Description

The African-American school most likely took its name from the nearby Springfield Coal Pits. The one room school established about 1905 was once supervised by Virginia Estelle Randolph, the eminent black educator. It had forty-six students by 1913. The school also served as a meeting hall for the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church up until 1918. In 1955, the pupils moved to the larger Vandervall School (now Pemberton Elementary). The County of Henrico purchased the property, and in 1976 Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church established a preschool program here for low-income families.

Description

The African-American school most likely took its name from the nearby Springfield Coal Pits. The one room school established about 1905 was once supervised by Virginia Estelle Randolph, the eminent black educator. It had forty-six students by 1913. The school also served as a meeting hall for the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church up until 1918. In 1955, the pupils moved to the larger Vandervall School (now Pemberton Elementary). The County of Henrico purchased the property, and in 1976 Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church established a preschool program here for low-income families.