Address:

4210 Penick Road

Henrico, VA

Geo Coordinates:

Description

In 1828, nine people organized a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse, five miles from the Richmond City limits. Students from the Virginia Baptist Seminary, now the University of Richmond, helped it become the Bethlehem Baptist Church. The church received its charter on May 31, 1838 and built a new structure in 1839. It reportedly served as a first aid station during the Civil War, burned about 1870 and was rebuilt. A brick Gothic-style church opened on July 25, 1909. On November 3, 1920, this structure burned. Members dedicated the present building on November 6, 1921.

Description

In 1828, nine people organized a Sunday school in a log schoolhouse, five miles from the Richmond City limits. Students from the Virginia Baptist Seminary, now the University of Richmond, helped it become the Bethlehem Baptist Church. The church received its charter on May 31, 1838 and built a new structure in 1839. It reportedly served as a first aid station during the Civil War, burned about 1870 and was rebuilt. A brick Gothic-style church opened on July 25, 1909. On November 3, 1920, this structure burned. Members dedicated the present building on November 6, 1921.