The 50,000-gallon aquarium at Three Lakes Nature Center is a favorite destination for residents and tourists. In addition to the remarkable aquatic life, the center now features more live animals on exhibit and additional animal habitats.
The tower and surrounding columns are the last remaining architectural elements from the 1880s Forest Lodge resort hotel. The vision of John Cussons, the 1,000–acre retreat boasted a hunting preserve, lakes, boathouses, gardens, parklands and an amphitheater.
Deep Run School, built in 1902, remained in operation until 1911. A center-folding wall divided the two rooms. On weekends, the wall was opened for dances and other social activities.
The Courtney Road Service Station was built around 1925 when there was an increase in cars, improved roads and a decrease in the cost of gas. A 1940 Richmond telephone directory listed the site as the “Friendly Service Station.”
The Warren family built Belmont shortly before the Civil War. The brick house has two stories, with a partial basement and interior end chimneys. Belmont Golf Course, formerly the Hermitage Country Club, was host to the 1949 PGA championship.
Seven generations of the Sheppard family owned Meadow Farm, starting in the early 1700s. Visitors to this 1860 historical farm can experience 19th–century rural life in a farmhouse, barn, outbuildings, gardens, nature trails and more than 150 acres of pasture and woodlands.
Constructed in 1825 for John Walker, the Walkerton Inn served travelers along Mountain Road. It is architecturally notable for its hinged, swinging, two-segment partition used to enlarge an upstairs room to accommodate guests.
Josiah Dabbs moved to the Dabbs House in 1859. His house served as General Robert E. Lee’s principal headquarters during the Civil War. In 1883, the county purchased the property as an Alms House. For many years, Dabbs House served as the eastern headquarters of Henrico’s Division of Police.
Built between 1915 and 1918, the Armour House and Gardens at Meadowview Park is a Victorian style home surrounded by a scenic walking trail, tennis courts, gardens, a flowing fountain surrounded by arbors with blooming vines and children’s gardens and play areas.
Located in Highland Springs, the art-deco Henrico Theatre originally opened in 1938. Movie tickets were 25 cents for adults and10 cents for children. The theatre was designated as a bomb shelter during World War II and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Antioch Schoolhouse was built around 1920 to serve the families in far eastern Henrico. At the continued insistence of families in the area, Antioch School remained in operation as a one-room schoolhouse until 1965.
Glen Allen Stadium at RF&P Park is a state-of-the-art little league baseball stadium featuring 636 permanent and individual seats, and dimensions equal to many college parks. Additional features include sunken dugouts, a digital scoreboard, eight light towers, and a brick concession building. A railroad station-themed press box includes closed-caption television.