Henrico of Yesteryear The original Henrico County courthouse was actually located in the City of Richmond at 21st and Main streets. Henrico fire engines have always responded despite rain, sleet, hail, or in this case, snow. This intersection of Parham and Three Chopt roads looks much different — and busier — today. The old Sandston water tower served the county well over the years. Hungary Spring Road, surrounded by little more than open fields, gets its name. Henrico Fire’s Hazardous Materials Team (HAZMAT) on the job in the 1980s. Lakeside’s Fire Station 5 was formerly Lakeside Presbyterian Church. Henrico County purchased and converted the church in the early 1940s. Henrico’s first fire engine lacked today’s high-tech equipment, but still got the job done back in the day. Today’s heavily traveled Interstate 64 still under construction. Today’s Animal Protection Officers were once known as the “Dog Warden.” It’s hard to imagine, but voting really did work this way in those days. In 1964, then County Manager Ed Beck celebrates the 30th Anniversary of Henrico’s “County Manager Form of Government.” Sometimes one sign says it all. Attack transport USS Henrico, named for Henrico County, was launched in 1943 to serve in World War II, and subsequently served in the Korean and Vietnam wars. During her career of exemplary service the “Happy Hank” earned 16 battle stars. The ship was decommissioned in 1968, and was ultimately disposed of in 1979. Former Henrico County Manager Virgil R. Hazelett began his career with the county as its first traffic engineer in 1972. Henrico County Police Officers have always stood tall, proudly serving our community.